We make a conscious choice to produce ethical collections. Sustainability is at the heart of what we do as we try to reduce our environmental impact on the earth:
- we use only natural and organic fabrics & materials
- we work with as few intermediaries as possible between the creative process and the end-user to create a transparent brand
- we do not use any plastic to wrap and pack our products
- our hang tags use recycled paper and recycled ink
- our labels are made of 100% cotton
- our white silk wrapping paper is acid- and chemical-free
All our cushion covers are 100% hand-woven by two skilled Portuguese artisans carrying on the legacy of the loom and its ancestral weaving techniques.
- Depending on the pattern, it takes the weaver 1 to 2 days to weave 1 meter of fabric.
- Made exclusively from wool sourced from sheep in the mountains of northern Portugal, the fabric is spun into yarn and then woven on a rudimentary traditional wooden loom.
- All our cushion covers are sewn by our so-called “the terrible two”, who are quite bold and can't be told to relax, even at 70+ years old ! Instead, they keep themselves busy, happy and proud to present to the world the delicate and colourful craftsmanship of Portuguese hand-weaving.
- We work only with limited batches, so that each item is a unique piece out of maximum 40 pieces - depending on the total length the artisan can weave. Each item is numbered on the paper hang tag.
All our bags are made of organic reed. It takes about 6 to 10 hours to craft each bag, hence each one is unique, each perfectly imperfect but all of them beautiful!
- Firstly, the reed is harvested from the fields
- It is then bathed in the sun for weeks to dry until its colour changes from dark green to a natural beige
- After a thorough cleaning, natural dyes are applied and left to dry naturally
- The reed is then ready to go on the loom and be woven according to the selected design